Thursday, May 14, 2020

Kim McMahill author interview




Author Interview with Kim McMahill

Q: First, tell us a little about yourself.
A: I grew up in Wyoming which is where I developed my sense
of adventure and love of the outdoors. I started out writing
non-fiction, but my passion for exotic world travel, outrageous
adventures, stories of survival, and happily-ever-after endings
soon drew me into a world of romantic suspense and
adventure fiction. I’ve had the opportunity to live in many
beautiful places in the United States and travel the world, but
I’m thrilled to finally be back home.


Q: What book would you like to discuss today and why?
A: Although Big Horn Storm is not a new release, after my
publisher was bought out the new publisher redesigned all
of my book covers, so it feels new to me. Also, Big Horn Storm
is special since it has more ties to my life than most novels I
write and it’s the only contemporary western that I’ve written
to date. The main “horse” character, Storm, is modeled after a
horse I had growing up. He definitely had attitude and a
fondness for females. My family spent a great deal of time
camping, riding, and fishing in the Bighorns, so the location
holds a lot of memories. And, I couldn’t have written several of
the horseback escape scenes without experiences to draw
upon. Most notably, the most dramatic “Man from Snowy
River” scene (you’ll know it when you get to it) is based on an
experience I had as a teenager while rounding up some cattle
that had decided to take a very steep shortcut off a mountain.
Though I’m sure I remember it much more dramatic than it
actually was, the adventure still helped me craft the scene.  


Q: Tell us a bit more about Big Horn Storm.
A: The novel is a contemporary western romantic adventure
set in rugged mountain country. The story combines a
too-close-to-home military crisis, a traumatic accident, a
terrifying bear encounter, heart-pounding horseback escapes,
and an attempt to reconcile the past in an action-packed
thriller. Here’s the blurb:
Niki Garat tolerates her job and the city, but she lives for her
summer vacation with her grandfather at his sheep camp in
the stunning Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming—until this year.
When the U.S. comes under attack, including an aggressive
attempt by foreign invaders to locate nuclear missile silos
scattered throughout remote western lands, the serenity of
her mountain refuge is shattered. As area ranches are
commandeered, neighbors and friends, including Deuce, her
childhood infatuation, band together. Throughout their struggle
to stay alive, Niki begins to understand what came between
her and Deuce, but before past mistakes can be corrected
they must endure a terrifying manhunt and a desperate fight
for survival.


Q: If you were not a writer, what vocation would you pursue?
A: I always dreamed of being an archaeologist, but when
looking into college majors I thought I should pursue
something more practical. I have enjoyed a rewarding career
with the National Park Service, but writing action, adventure,
and suspense allows me to explore and solve mysteries and
go on exciting expeditions. My goal in the next phase of my
life is to find and take advantage of volunteer opportunities to
participate on digs.


Q: Which genre or genres do you write or prefer to write? And why?
A: I write romantic suspense and action adventure novels. I
read books and watch movies almost exclusively in this genre.
I love adventures in far-flung locations, fast-paced action, and
of course all good stories need a touch of romance. 


Q: What gets your creative juices flowing?
A: I get a lot of inspiration from an exciting trip, whether
domestic or abroad. Every time I travel, I see settings for a
novel, situations to embellish, and physical and personality
traits in strangers that I need to incorporate into a character. 


Q: Who would you love most to meet 'in person' and why?
A: Actually, I recently had the opportunity to meet James
Rollins at a discussion and book signing. He was interesting
and entertaining. I’ve read every book he’s written under
James Rollins and I aspire to write such captivating and
suspenseful novels. He was definitely the top writer on my list
to meet.


Q: What are you working on now? 
A Measure of Madness, book 4 in my Risky Research Series,
is undergoing edits with my publisher and editor. No release
date has been set yet. In between rounds of edits I’m working
on the fifth and final installment in the series which will bring
readers back to where it all began in Wyoming. 


Buy Links:


Social Media Links: 



2 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you for hosting me on your blog. I really enjoyed sharing.

Alethea Williams said...

Thanks for guesting on my blog. Author interviews are so interesting!