Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Bast's Warrior



Bast’s Warrior is a fantasy, time travel set in an ancient Egypt. There is an interesting reason for using an alternate Egypt. First the blurb and then a bit about how the book came about.


Tira flees a threat to her life and encounters two elderly women who offer her the chance to be sent to an alternate ancient Egypt with no thought of return. She has had a fascination with Egypt and can even read hieroglyphics. Once there she will be given a task. Failure could mean death. Dare she take the chance and can she find the lost symbols of the rule before an enemy finds them?

Kashe, son of the nomarch of Mero is in rebellion. His father desires him to join the priesthood of Aken Re, a foreign god. He feels he belongs to Horu, god of warriors and justice. He decides to leave home, meets Tira and joins her in the search for the symbols of the rule. Will his aid bring good fortune and will their growing love keep them from making a fatal mistake? 


There is an interesting reason for choosing to make the story occur in an alternate ancient Egypt. I was busily revising the story and put it aside for the evening. I flipped around the TV dial and on Discovery found a program on camels. To my dismay, I learned there were no camels in the time period of my story. There were horses but no camels. I really wanted camels and so I had to find a way not to rewrite the book. That night while I slept the answer came. Even though historical research was being used to keep from re-writing the entire book what I needed to do was send the heroine through time and space to an alternate world. That meant changing the names of the gods and the cities a bit. Took a bit of time but I saved the camels.


The hero and heroine are both Aries since I needed warriors. Many years ago, a friend and I earned enough money to travel to Ireland for a two week stay with her step-mother. We continued to do charts and progression for a number of years. Then she went to law school and I returned to work as a nurse and out career as Astrologists came to a halt. I never lost my interest in Astrology. When I began writing again after a ten year hiatus while I worked as a nurse, saw my children through college, I returned to writing.


In casting my characters, I began to use Astrology. I didn’t cast charts for the characters since math is not my greatest subject. I tool from Astrology the character’s birth sign, their moon sign and their Rising sign to give them a personality, their goals and reasons for wanting to achieve a goal.

Janet Lane Walters 

I've been published since 1968 with a long break to return to nursing to help put children through college. I was married to my husband for 55 years but recently became a widow. I have four children. My youngest is an adopted biracial daughter. I have seven grandchildren, three are Chinese and four are Black. I'm an eclectic writer and span most genres except horror and scientific science fiction. I spent a number of years doing Astrological charts for friends, earning enough money for a trip to Ireland. I also at one point in time studied music composition and had several pieces performed. When I returned to writing after the hiatus, I made friends with some great women from RWA. One of them sold my first return book to her editor. Then I discovered electronic publishing and was off and running.

Janet Lane Walters's picture
My Places
https://www.pinterest.com/shadyl717/


Buy Mark
http://bookswelove.net/walters-janet-lane/

No comments: