Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Better to Marry Than to Burn


Better To Marry Than To Burn

As a kid in love with reading, I didn’t need science fiction to provide me with tales of other worlds. I had history and social studies. Historical works and studies – both fiction and non-fiction – provided me with glimpses of other worlds to my heart’s content. Best of all these other worlds weren’t just other, they were real. In my historical writing I provide my readers not only with a glimpse into the other world that is the African-American experience in America, but also with antidotes to what Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie describes as the danger of a single story. There are as many African-American historical narratives as the waters cover the seas.

Book description:  

Wife Wanted: Marital relations as necessary. Love not required nor sought...

A bridal lottery seems the height of foolishness to ex-slave Caesar King, but his refusal to participate in the town council’s scheme places him in a bind. He has to get married to avoid paying a high residence fine or leave the Texas territory. After losing his wife in childbirth, Caesar isn’t ready for romance. A woman looking for a fresh start without any emotional strings is what he needs. Queen Esther Payne, a freeborn black from Philadelphia, has been threatened by her family for her forward-thinking, independent ways. Her family insists she marry. Her escape comes in the form of an ad. If she must marry, it will be on her terms. But her first meeting with the sinfully hot farmer proves an exciting tussle of wills that stirs her physically, intellectually, and emotionally. In the battle of sexual one-upmanship that ensues, both Caesar and Queen discover surrender can be as fulfilling as triumph.

Excerpt:
“Our children?” She swiveled in her seat. “You made no mention of wanting children, just marital relations as necessary. I understood that to mean intercourse.”
“I wrote I wanted to leave a legacy.”
“A legacy. Not a dynasty.”
“Legacy. Dynasty. Is there really so sharp a distinction?”
“To my mind there is. I understood you meant to affect future generations—endow schools, found churches, create civic associations. I didn’t realize that meant children. I agreed to having sex, not having children.”
 “Of course I want children.” His brows grew heavy as he frowned. “Doesn’t having sex lead to having children?”
“Not with the right precautions.”
His frown deepened. “Precautions?”
“There are many ways to prevent your seed from taking root, Mr. King.”
“I want children, Mrs. King.”
Her lips twisted and her brow furrowed, but she kept her silence.
“All right,” she said. “You can have children with any woman you like. I won’t stop you. I free you from any claim to fidelity.”
“Legacy—or dynasty if you will—means legitimacy. No bastard will carry my name, not when I have a wife to bear me children.”
“I see.”
Her tone signaled she didn’t.

Buy links: Amazon:   https://amzn.to/2KTaGPH

Author bio: 
A recent transplant to the Southwest from New York, Michal Scott is the erotic romance pen name of Anna Taylor Sweringen, a retired United Church of Christ and Presbyterian Church USA minister. Anna has been writing professionally since joining Romance Writers of America in 2003. She also writes inspirational romance as Anna Taylor and women's fiction and gothic romance as Anna M. Taylor.

Author links:
Amazon Author Page - https://amzn.to/2TSHzRn

15 comments:

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thank you for hosting me today, Alethea.

JENNIFER WILCK said...

Love the excerpt!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this because it was good to see the woman's character
depicted as showing strength and determination.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

So glad you enjoyed it, Jennifer. Thanks for stopping by.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Hi Delores, thanks for the observation. I always hope that comes through in my heroine's.

Ilona Fridl said...

Looks like an interesting story! Always like to see more ethnic characters. Best on it!

Louise B said...

I really liked your explanation of why you preferred history, both history and non-fiction, to sci-fi/fantasy. When I think about it, that might be why I like history better, too. Also, I love your heroine's name. Ever since reading the story of the Book of Esther in the Bible (more historical reading), I have liked it.

Barbara Bettis said...

Enjoyed the excerpt, Anna, and your comments on history. I so agree!
Oh, and I have to say, your book's log line made the smile--martial relations as necessary. Continued good luck with your books.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks Ilona. History is so much more diverse than our schooling ever let on.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks, Louise. I named my heroine in honor of my first church secretary whose name was Queen Esther Johnson. It was the perfect counterpart for Caesar. :-) Thanks for stopping by.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Barbara. If it had been a longer story there probably would have been a lot of "necessary." :-)

charlotteoshay@gmail.com said...

Love your writing, Anna. Do any members of your former congregation follow your writing career?

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks so much for the appreciation. As a matter of fact I just learned one of them writes romance too. I was attending the Romance Slam Jam virtual conference last month and someone typed a private message to me in the chat, "Hi Rev. Anna." I scanned the faces in the ZOOM grid and there she was. :-)

Alethea Williams said...

A pleasure to have you here, Anna. In an epic battle of wills, what better character names than Queen and King? :) Thanks to all for stopping by.

Anna Taylor Sweringen said...

Thanks for having me. Interacting with everyone was fun but also being on your site has given me so many ideas for mine. Again, thanks for allowing me to share.